Thursday, February 21, 2008

Heaving Around

A wonderful print hangs in my office. The painting is titled "Heaving Around." Maritime artist, Marek Sarba, captures a difficult maneuver in a stormy seascape. The painting "depicts the Saint Andre being made fast to the towing bit of the steam tug ADLER, a maneuver that poses great danger to crewmen and vessels in heavy seas." The disabled freighter is literally being pulled by the tug so it can gain a more favorable position to weather the storm. Without this maneuver, the ship would be doomed.

As a mediator, I believe the painting is a metaphor for those constructive but critical moments during a mediation when one can see the interactions of the participants move in a redemptive way. Even in the worst emotional storms, I really believe when those heaving-around moments come, God is present. Time and time again, I have seen the heaving-around moment come in the form of a much needed and sincere apology.

Here's what a heaving-around moment sounds like, "I hurt you. I am so sorry. I want to make sure this never happens again. So, this is how I will promise to change . . ."

That's the kind of apology that will help any relationship to weather the storms of conflict.

More on the art of Apology

More on the painting Heaving Around

More on the artist Marek Sarba

2 comments:

barb said...

HI, I SAW YOUR BLOG ON MAREK SARBA'S PRINT "Heaving Around." I HAVE A MAREK SARBA OIL PAINTING THAT I BOUGHT AT AT A YARD SALE WHILE LIVING IN FLORIDA. IT IS AN 8" X 10" OIL ON BOARD CANVAS PAINTED BY MAREK SARBA. MAREK SARBA PAINTED THIS SHIP AT SEA IN 1982, HE SIGNED IT ON THE BACK, AND IT ALSO SAYS MERRY CHRISTMAS, AS WELL AS HIS SARBA SIGNITURE ON THE FRONT OF THE PAINTING IT'S SELF. THE PAINTING HAD IT'S ORIGINAL BUISNESS CARD FROM MAREK'S ART STUDIO IN ST. PETERSBURG IN 1982. THE PAINTING ALSO HAS THE STAMPED LABEL ON THE BACK WHERE IT WAS ON DISPLAY AT THE MYSTIC SEAPORT MUSEUM GALLERY. MAREK SARBA'S PAINTINGS ARE PURCHASED BY MEMBERS OF CONGRESS, AND INDUSTRY LEADERS. I BOUGHT THE PAINTING IN 2000 AND HAVE BEEN A FAN SINCE. I ONLY PAID $1 FOR THE PAINTING, THE FOLKS AT THE YARD SALE DID NOT KNOW WHAT THEY HAD. I DIDN'T EITHER UNTIL I GOT IN TOUCH WITH MR SARBA AND HE CONFIRMED THAT INDEED THIS WAS ONE OF HIS PIECES. I JUST THOUGHT YOU WOULD INJOY THIS LITTLE STORY.

TONY REDFERN said...

Thanks for your comment. I love Sarba's work . . . and you found a great deal!